Compare and save on your Car Insurance, it really is that simple.
Looking for cheaper car insurance? Comparing the price of car insurance is simple, free, and could save you hundreds. Just enter your details and say a bit about your current plan and the Car Comparison Service will show you a list of deals from dozens of insurance providers to help find the right insurance policy for you.
Car Insurance Guide
Car insurance is one of the few insurances that is required by law. If a car is driven on the road it must have car insurance. The only exception is if a car has a Statutory Off-Road Notice. Which means that by law the car cannot be driven on the road, but also does not require insurance.
Types of Car Insurance
Car insurance in the UK comes in three main categories:
- Third party - This is the minimum legal requirement for car insurance. It’s a basic form of insurance that covers the costs of any damage incurred while driving.
- Third party, fire, and theft - Similar to third party insurance, but covers the cost of replacing a car if it’s stolen or damaged in a fire.
- Comprehensive cover - Provides everything as above, but also covers costs for repairing the car belonging to an at-fault driver.
Depending on the insurer and the policy. The driver may be covered when driving other cars, including hired cars. Some policies also allow the policyholder to name other drivers to be covered when driving their car.
These options will increase the cost of insurance:
- Breakdown cover provides roadside assistance in the event of a breakdown.
- Legal expenses are covered if they arise from of compensation claims made because of a vehicle related accident.
- Windscreen cover is typically included in comprehensive policies but can be purchased as an add on for third party cover.